T Register Competition

So… you are interested in competing in a T Type MG? …please make contact with the T Register; we can help … the Competitions Secretary acts as a focus for T Type Competition activities and would be happy to discuss with you what is involved.

If you want to dip your toes in the water without any real expense and in a standard car, the club’s MGs on Track is the perfect start, offering a great day out and a chance to chat to fellow enthusiasts. There is plenty of advice, and with strict rules regarding overtaking and behaviour, it makes it a very safe way to test the water. Do make sure the car is in good order but that’s about it!

Click the link in the paragraph above or or contact Duncan Wood.

A bit more adventurous are sprints and hillclimbs. You could, of course, do both. Sprinting and hillclimbing provides people with access to low cost motor sport in which their cars are competitive. The best way to do this is by entering the MG Car Club Speed Championship, the contact is John Wilman on 07778 165186.

The Speed Championship provides classes for all models of MG with progressive modifications allowed, with the emphasis on friendly competition. There are already a number of T-Types and T-Type based Specials competing and you don’t have to compete in every round. Whether you are new to speed events or a seasoned campaigner there will be something for you in the Championship. You can start by watching video of the beginners guide to the Championship. And there are a number of videos on the T Register’s YouTube Channel showing participating in hill climbs – an example is below –

Here are a few of the steps necessary whether you want to race, sprint or hill-climb, and these brief notes can be expanded upon with just a phone call or email.

  1. Finding a car… many of the racing cars are professionally prepared, but most of the Luffield Championship cars are maintained by their owners. However, they only occasionally come onto the market.
  2. Insurance, licence, clothing such as fireproofing, headgear etc; we can advise on all of this if you need us to. Plenty of kit is compulsory these days.
  3. The programme for each season is available on the web site; there is always plenty of opportunity to compete in your T Type.
  4. The MGCC website also lists all club results plus links for other series/races, so you can see our level of activity.
  5. The most helpful thing is for you to let us know of your interest: we hope we have all the answers through decades of experience!
  6. Finally, you will need a competition licence issued by the MSA. A brief description of the types of licence required is given below – but do talk to the competition contacts mentioned above about the detail.

We are friendly and welcoming; don’t hesitate to make contact and, we hope, join us.
Come and join us – or attend a few events to see what is involved and talk to us first. We are only too happy to explain what is involved both on and off the track.

Competition Licences – a Simple Guide
From the MGCC member perspective there are basically two types of competition licence issued by the UK MSA, Race and Non-Race. You need a Race license if you are competing in a race i.e. against other cars on the track at the same time. To sprint and hillclimb only requires the lesser level of Non-Race as you are not competing for position on the track with another driver. A Race licence requires you to first buy a ‘Go Racing Drivers Pack’ from the MSA and then take a 1 day Association of Racing Drivers School (ARDS) course and take a test. Once you have passed an ARDS test you can then apply for a Race licence. You can also sprint and hillclimb with a Race licence.

If you only sprint and hillclimb you only need a Non-Race licence and do not need an ARDS course. You are expected to know all the rules from the MSA Blue Book, especially the meaning of the different flags. You will initially be issued with a Non-Race B licence and that will let you compete in most UK events. You can upgrade to a Non-Race A licence (essential if you want to compete in the EU) by collecting four signatures in a season from the Clerk of the Course at the events you compete at to say you behaved. The event regulations will specify the licence required. All these licences have different medical requirements.