The MG Car Club 90th Anniversary.
12th 2020 will mark the 90th anniversary of the founding
of the MGCC. The club’s origins lie in an advert placed in the Light Car
magazine suggesting the formation of a club for MG owners. The venue was the
Roebuck Hotel, Broadwater, Stevenage, Hertfordshire
which still exists. Over thirty cars and their drivers and passengers attended
to the inaugural event and a
club was quickly formed. The following year the first club dinner was held with
Cecil Kimber as the guest speaker. In 1932 the first dinner-dance was held at
the Café Royal in London
where Sir William Morris, George Eyston, and Earl Howe were among the guests.
To celebrate the 90th year of the MG Car Club, we would like clubs to mark the occasion by organising a contribution to a world-wide event on the following lines:
- The celebratory event to be organised is a run or rally by every club, register and centre in both the UK and across the world.
- The date for the event will be Sunday 11th October, 2020.
- The run or rally should be as far as possible different from the usual runs put on by the club, register, or centre. One suggestion is that an approximate ‘octagonal’ route is devised. Another could be passing over a river on a bridge or a ferry. Essentially something which is different, acts as the focal-point for the run, and enables some memorable photos to be taken.
- Mid-day local time should be used as the start of the run, or the point at which an unusual feature is crossed, passed, seen etc. – the focal point. In this way the event becomes a ‘whole day’ global event from New Zealand, Australia and Japan in the east, to Brazil, California and Hawaii in the west.
- As far as possible local and national media should be alerted and used as a means of raising both the MGCC’s and the marque’s profiles. Local media especially is often open to a prepared ‘feel good’ human interest story.
- Consideration could also be given to video and photos being uploaded to Facebook, Instagram, YouTube etc. which have a wide reach and enable comment and participation.
- As we get closer to October 2020 I hope to provide more information on the founding meeting and those involved in getting the MGCC off the ground in 1930.
MGCC, Overseas Director.
San Diego MG Car Club
MGs of Baltimore
The latest newsletter from our affiliated Baltimore club may be found below.
MG Marque Centenary
Below is a brief rationale for the MGCC’s decision to start a year’s centenary celebrations in 2023.
The KH-affiliated Baltimore Club’s most recent newsletter may be found below.
The affiliated San Diego club’s latest newsletter may be found below.
The affiliated Baltimore club’s newsletter may be found below. PC
The affiliated San Diego club’s newsletter ‘On The Marque’ for July/August 2019 may be found below. PC
Attached is the newsletter from the Baltimore club. Since going to press one of the last British-owned car companies (Morgan) has also gone abroad.