The MG Car Club 90th Anniversary.
12th 2020 will mark the 90th anniversary of the founding
of the MGCC. The club’s origins lie in an advert placed in the Light Car
magazine suggesting the formation of a club for MG owners. The venue was the
Roebuck Hotel, Broadwater, Stevenage, Hertfordshire
which still exists. Over thirty cars and their drivers and passengers attended
to the inaugural event and a
club was quickly formed. The following year the first club dinner was held with
Cecil Kimber as the guest speaker. In 1932 the first dinner-dance was held at
the Café Royal in London
where Sir William Morris, George Eyston, and Earl Howe were among the guests.
To celebrate the 90th year of the MG Car Club, we would like clubs to mark the occasion by organising a contribution to a world-wide event on the following lines:
- The celebratory event to be organised is a run or rally by every club, register and centre in both the UK and across the world.
- The date for the event will be Sunday 11th October, 2020.
- The run or rally should be as far as possible different from the usual runs put on by the club, register, or centre. One suggestion is that an approximate ‘octagonal’ route is devised. Another could be passing over a river on a bridge or a ferry. Essentially something which is different, acts as the focal-point for the run, and enables some memorable photos to be taken.
- Mid-day local time should be used as the start of the run, or the point at which an unusual feature is crossed, passed, seen etc. – the focal point. In this way the event becomes a ‘whole day’ global event from New Zealand, Australia and Japan in the east, to Brazil, California and Hawaii in the west.
- As far as possible local and national media should be alerted and used as a means of raising both the MGCC’s and the marque’s profiles. Local media especially is often open to a prepared ‘feel good’ human interest story.
- Consideration could also be given to video and photos being uploaded to Facebook, Instagram, YouTube etc. which have a wide reach and enable comment and participation.
- As we get closer to October 2020 I hope to provide more information on the founding meeting and those involved in getting the MGCC off the ground in 1930.
MGCC, Overseas Director.
European Event of the Year
The 2020 event in Germany had to be cancelled due to the coronavirus. Those who prefer event refunds will be compensated in full by the German club. Direct bookings with the nominated event hotels will also be refunded in full. Those who used third party companies to book will need to obtain their refund from those third parties. The German club informed us two days ago that around 10% of entrants were requesting refunds rather than reserved bookings for next year. Any spare places will be offered to those on this year’s waiting lists before general bookings are opened.
The northern Portuguese club kindly agreed to stand back from the 2021 event and let the German club run their cancelled event instead. The EEOTY in 2021 will therefore be the same event as originally planned.
For 2022 the event will be hosted by the Belgian club. The 2023 event will be hosted by our Danish club and will mark the start of the marque centenary year. The northern Portuguese club will host the 2024 EEOTY in May 2024 which will therefore take place towards the end of the centenary year. This event will benefit from lower temperatures and cheaper hotels. There will also be one non-driving day. The organising club is not the same as the other Portuguese club which organised the Porto event.
MGCC, Overseas Director, 1/6/2020
Affiliated MGCC – Antwerp
Newsletter, June 2020.
One of the first newsletters of 2020 from the MGCC Danish Centre: MG Bladet, Nr.2, March 2020.
EEOTY – 2021
The EEOTY 2021 is being held near Lisbon. There are some differences with previous years which have been incorporated in order to take account of difficulties raised at previous events. The main difference is that the Lisbon event will take place in May and not the usual August. There is also one complete non-driving day. The precise details are yet to be revealed, but below you will find an update newsletter from the organisers. Feel free to contact them, especially Isabel, as English is not an issue for them.
MG Marque Centenary
Below is a brief rationale for the MGCC’s decision to start a year’s centenary celebrations in 2023.
MGCC Danish Centre
The October 2019 magazine of our affiliated MGCC Danish Centre may be found below.
Some preliminary information is available from the Portuguese club for their event in 2021. A reminder, the event is in May instead of the usual August. It will be cooler and the hotels will be cheaper. There will be at least one non-driving day.
MGCC – Overseas Director.